Delivered live online over Zoom our 2-day Microsoft Power BI Advanced training course is ideal for competent users of Power BI who are looking to improve their skills and the data insights provided for their organisation.
Thu 20 Jan
2 days, 10:00 AM - 04:30 PM
Mon 14 Feb
2 days, 10:00 AM - 04:30 PM
The first thing to say about our live online Training is that it’s not a webinar or video. You will connect live with us and we’ll run the course using Zoom so you can see and chat with us. With these tools we’ll be able to share our screen view with you and use online chat, polls and discussions to create an interactive learning environment. You’ll be able to ask questions, get us to explain or go back over points again as required.
We’ve split our Advanced Power BI course up unto four segments outlined below. Before and after the online segments you’ll have access to all the training files and resources used in the course. At the end of the course we’ll provide the video recording of all the online sessions and you’ll still be able to ask questions over email as you start to use the skills learned in the training
To get the most from this course
The minimum requirement is to have a Laptop or PC and an internet connection! You can check your computer and internet is good enough for the online classroom by going to Zoom.us/test and trying the test meeting there. Additional refinements would be a headset and a second screen, but these are optional. You’ll probably also want to install Power BI Desktop if you don’t already have it on your machine and get a Power BI licence (Either Free or Pro). Other than that, you’ll need to be able to put the time aside when the sessions are running, ideally in a quiet space so you can concentrate. Our sessions are really interactive and you’ll be expected to interact, react and take part in the training.
What this course will do for you
This course provides individuals and teams with significant advanced skills in Power BI to improve reporting and take you much further than the basics. Reporting processes will be improved and data analysis made more efficient and effective. As it’s our advanced course, attendees should have a good understanding of Power BI and want to master its core functionality.
What you will learn
Session 1 / Day 1 - 10:00am to 12:30pm
Working with Data Models in Power BI
Creating DAX Calculated Columns
- Understanding Row Context
Creating DAX Measures
- Understanding Filter Context and Filter propagation
- Working with a variety of DAX functions:
- DISTINCTCOUNT, COUNTROWS, SUMX and CALCULATE.
- Using DAX in conditional formatting.
The Key Influencers Visual
Session 2 / Day 1 - 2:00pm to 4:30pm
- Creating and editing Bookmarks
- Using interactive buttons
- Dynamic Tooltips in visualisations
Row Level Security (RLS)
- What RLS does
- Creating basic Row Level Security
- Dynamic Row Level Security based on User Login
Session 3 / Day 2 - 10:00am to 12:30pm
- Using the Merge and Append Queries options.
- Using “Fuzzy” merge.
- Using the Connection to Folder to append.
- Using Unpivot, Transpose and Pivot transformations
Power BI Dataflows
- What is a DataFlow ?
- Generating and using DataFlows
- Maintaining DataFlows
Session 4 / Day 2 - 2:00pm to 4:30pm
Power BI App Workspaces
- Generating App Workspaces
- Linking Workspaces with OneDrive
- Sharing and Managing Workspaces
- Creating Apps from Workspaces
- Sharing and Managing Apps
- Manually refreshing data.
- When and Why to use a Gateway.
- Creating, Scheduling and Managing Automatic Refreshing .
- Refreshing restrictions.
Power BI Governance
- Power BI administration
- Security restrictions in Governance
- Statistics and Audit