Who is this Advanced Power BI course for?
Intermediate users of the Power BI application. This course provides individuals and teams with significant advanced skills in Power BI to improve reporting and take you much further than the basics. Reporting processes will be improved and data analysis made more efficient and effective.
As our advanced course, attendees should have a good understanding of Power BI and want to master its core functionality. To get the most out of this course, please attend our 2-day Power BI Fundamentals course or be a competent Power BI user.
- 2 days
- Start time 9:30am prompt
- Regular breaks throughout the day
- 45 minute lunch break
- Course finishes at 4:00pm each day
- Two fully qualified, expert Power BI trainers
- Access to the latest Power BI license for the course
- Laptops and equipment
- Central London training room
- In-course handbook
- Free fast WiFi
- Lunch, unlimited hot drinks and water
- Ongoing support from your trainers
Power BI Advanced Training Course London Outline
Our advanced course will cover the following core principles over 2-days. Attendees will be able to ask questions and each session will be slightly tailored to the group and skillset.
Working with Data Models in Power BI
- Importing a variety of data sources into Power BI Desktop.
- Working with Model layouts
- Creating Many-to-One relationships.
- Understanding the Data Model.
- Understanding the importance of Star Schemas.
- Exploring Outer Joins, inactive relationships and bi-directional filtering
- Creating Certified or Promoted Datasets
Creating DAX Measures
- Understanding Implicit Measures.
- Controlling summarisation in Implicit Measures.
- Looking at explicit Measures.
- Understanding Filter Context and Filter propagation
- Working with a variety of DAX functions: DISTINCTCOUNT, COUNTROWS, SUMX and CALCULATE.
- Working with conditional formatting.
- Using DAX in conditional formatting.
- Creating and editing Bookmarks
- Using interactive buttons
- Dynamic Tooltips in visualisations
- The Key Influencers Visual
Row Level Security (RLS)
- What RLS does
- Creating basic Row Level Security
- Dynamic RLS
- Limitations of RLS
- Using the Merge and Append Queries options.
- Using “Fuzzy” merge.
- Using the Connection to Folder to append.
- Using Unpivot, Transpose and Pivot transformations
- Creating Query Parameters
- Managing and editing Parameters
- Using a List as input for Parameters
- Understanding Disable Load
Power BI App Workspaces
- Generating App Workspaces
- Linking Workspaces with OneDrive
- Sharing and Managing Workspaces
- Creating Apps from Workspaces
- Sharing and Managing Apps
Power BI Dataflows
- What is a DataFlow?
- Generating and using DataFlows
- Maintaining DataFlows
- Manually refreshing data.
- When and Why to use a Gateway.
- Creating, Scheduling and Managing Automatic Refreshing.
- Refreshing restrictions.
Power BI Governance
- Power BI administration
- Security restrictions in Governance
- Statistics and Audit
We’re proud to have trained
Location for our Power BI courses in London
We book training rooms at the modern and comfortable citizenM Bankside hotel. Each meeting room has fast WiFi, air conditioning and a set-up ideal for training and learning. Each session offers unlimited tea, coffee and water, as well as a buffet lunch. Allergies and dietary preferences can be accommodated.
We provide everything you need for the course; laptops and tech, Power BI license, so just bring yourselves and any questions you may have.
How to find us
citizenM in Southwark can be easily reached by public transport, please contact the hotel in advance for Car parking availability. The nearest tube stations are Borough on the Northern line or Southwark on the Jubilee. London Bridge and Waterloo Stations are just a 15 minute walk away.
Can’t make our dates? Book a private Power BI session
Our advanced Power BI syllabus is also available to book on a private basis for your company. We can tailor the outline to your specific business needs and the session can take place at a date and time that works best for you and your team.
Contact our team or get a quote
Don’t hesitate to contact us with any questions, feedback, to get a quote or to book onto a course. We have been training providers in Power BI since it launched in 2014 and are passionate and dedicated to share our skills so you and your business can reap the benefits of this powerful, insightful software.